Pleasure House Point & Brock Environmental Center

Last week we brought you a tour of the old Cape Henry Lighthouse -- the first lighthouse built by the United States of America.  This week, we run through Pleasure House Point and around the Brock Environmental Center.

Located west of the Lesner Bridge and east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Pleasure House Point is 118 acres of water, tidal marsh, sandy shores and maritime forest. With the help of The Trust for Public Land, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and the surrounding community, the City has preserved one of the largest undeveloped parcels of land on the Lynnhaven River for generations to come.

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation built the Brock Environmental Center to engage, inform, and inspire generations about the environment and how we can all help Save the Bay.  If you enjoy bird watching, hiking, or being outdoors, then PHP is the place for you.  

Rooftop solar panels provide 60% of the Brock's energy needs.  Two, 10-kilowatt wind turbines generate the remaining 40%. 

Go on a tour to learn about the numerous other reasons that make this building impressively sustainable.

Guided tours of the Brock Environmental Center are available by reservation only, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (except holidays). Reservation requests can be made by e-mailing BrockCenterGreenTours@cbf.org or calling 757-622-1964. 

Pleasure House Point is nature at its best!  The Virginia Beach Audubon Society has viewed 122 different species of birds.  The Chesapeake Bay Program's "Bay Field Guide" profiles many of the plants and animals that can be found in PHP.

 

 

Older Post
Newer Post
Close (esc)

OUR PURPOSE

Stay connected with us. We want to hear from you and would like to stay in touch from time to time, no spam just good stories on local projects, product releases and special events. 

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.

Search

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now